Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Sweet Vandals - The Sweet Vandals (2007)


1.: I Got You Man
2.: Charlie's Love
3.: Papa's Got A Brand New Bag
4.: You Wanna Be My Lover
5.: You're Gettin' It
6.: Do It Right
7.: Beautiful
8.: Come On Now
9.: That's The Way I Am
10.: Nites Lites




Download



Heavy funk from the Spanish scene -- really great little combo with hard-cooking organ from Carlo Coupe, and some wickedly soulful vocals from Mayka Edjole -- a singer who almost stands next to the best current deep funk divas from the US! There's a lean, stripped-down quality to the record we really love -- mostly just tight drums, bass, guitar, and Hammond -- all produced with enough grit in the grooves to give the record a classic funk quality on most numbers. There's a lot less of the too-bright production qualities that sometimes mar other recent work from Spain -- and the Sweet Vandals really seem poised to be their nations emissaries on the international funk circuit! Titles include "I Got You Man", "Charlie Love", "Do It Right", "You're Getting It", "You Wanna Be My Lover", "Come On Now", and "That's The Way I Am"

No comments: